Orchid is not an easy plant to care for. To maintain its healthy state, and moreover, to see flowering, it will take a lot of work to create suitable conditions for the development of the plant.
Everything is important here: the correctly selected planting material and substrate, the location of the flower, the frequency and quality of watering, feeding. Often the question arises as to whether it is possible to plant an orchid in an opaque pot, or is it better to give preference to one through the walls of which the roots are visible.
- Choosing a landing container
- Orchid pot size
- Additional requirements
- Is it possible to plant an orchid in an opaque ceramic pot
- Plastic containers
- Positive and negative points of using a glass pot without holes for an orchid
- A pot with automatic watering - is it possible to plant an orchid?
Choosing a container for planting
For the growth of most species of orchids in nature, no soil is required, they belong to epiphytes, their roots are able to strengthen on the roughness of rocks or tree bark. Normal plant development requires air access to the roots.
Therefore, it is recommended to give preference to perforated containers, fragments of wood with bark, they will serve as a good support for the roots of the plant.
Lithophytes create fewer problems with leaving, i.e. terrestrial plant species. In structure, they differ from epiphytes, have tubers and roots, it is recommended to use a nutrient soil of a special composition for planting them.
Naturally, such features raise many questions, in particular, about what should be a special pot for an orchid.
Note that in the case of using any container, it is necessary to have drainage holes in it, such a design will help prevent overflows and allow the roots to receive a sufficient amount of oxygen.
Orchid container size
The moment of choice is very important, the question of how many liters a pot is needed for an orchid is not of the last importance.
The plant is not comfortable, both in a too small container, and in a disproportionately large one:
- too small, with a small support area tends to roll over, this can seriously injure the plant
- an excessively large amount of substrate leads to its uneven drying out, which increases the threat of decay of the root system
The optimal solution is when the diameter of the container and its height are the same. The root system should fill the volume of the container, it should be kind of cramped.
Additional requirements for containers
In flower shops, orchid containers are available in a wide range. For their manufacture, ceramics, glass, and plastic are used.
In any case, a special orchid pot should:
- provide air to the roots
- allow excess moisture to drain
- the inner surface should not be such that the roots can attach to it
- for plants with photosynthetic root system, transparent materials are needed
- the transparency of the pot without holes will allow you to monitor the state of the plant's root system
Is it possible to plant a flower in an opaque ceramic pot
The ceramics must be glazed and have additional side holes for water drainage and high-quality ventilation.
Among the advantages of ceramic dishes, we point out:
- the possibility of uniform distribution of moisture throughout the entire volume of the substrate
- the large mass of the pot prevents the possibility of turning it over
- a light color is able to prevent the possibility of overheating of the roots when placing the pot on a sunlit surface
But ceramic containers have disadvantages:
- the roughness of the walls, which provokes the growth of roots, this negatively affects the plant during transplantation, in order to protect the root system, it is recommended to break the pot and place them in a large container without separating the roots from the ceramic fragments
- the tendency of the walls to accumulate salt deposits on the surface
- porosity of ceramics accelerates the process of moisture evaporation, for this reason, the irrigation regime will have to be observed
Before planting, the ceramic container is immersed in water for several hours so that it is saturated with moisture.
Using used pots will require careful handling and cleaning of salt deposits.
Plastic pots, advantages and disadvantages
If we talk about what to plant orchids in, then these are definitely not opaque plastic containers without holes. If there is no other option, the containers will need to be upgraded: additional holes will need to be made using a drill, a soldering iron, or just a hot nail. Their diameter should be about 5 mm, the recommended location is the bottom of the pot.
It is better for novice flower growers to buy transparent plastic containers. They allow you to track the standing of the horse system. In a plastic container, the substrate dries more slowly, salts do not accumulate on the inner surfaces.
Plastic is a material that can provide a more or less stable temperature inside the container, i.e. in summer, plants do not suffer so much from the heat, at low temperatures they do not experience discomfort from the cold.
Since plastic containers do not allow air to pass through, it will be necessary to carefully monitor the moisture content of the soil - it is impossible to allow the onset of putrefactive processes in it.
Glass pot without holes for orchids
Only experienced flower growers can use transparent glass containers without holes. It is practically impossible to make holes in such containers, i.e. runoff for excess water will not water the flowers in which case it is carried out on a whim, it is important that the owner feels that the plant requires the next portion of moisture.
A feature of planting in such containers is:
- using carefully prepared substrate
- laying a thick layer of drainage
If you do not adhere to the rules, then algae will soon appear on the walls, the root system may suffer from decay.
We conclude that you can use glass flower pots, but you must comply with all planting requirements and know how to water an orchid in a pot without holes.
Is it possible to plant an orchid in a pot with automatic watering
The organization of automatic watering of an orchid is a great idea, because it is the question of soil moisture that arises among flower growers quite often. You can make such a device with your own hands, from plastic bottles. They will need 2, with a capacity of 1 and 2 liters.
The order of work is as follows:
- The 2 liter bottle is cut at a height of 20 cm, and the bottom of the bottle will be used.
- at the top, cuts are evenly made with a depth of 4 cm, the resulting segments are folded inward
- it will be convenient to use a spout to add water; it can be made from the neck of the same flask by cutting a hole and attaching the part with thermal glue
- The container for planting is made from a second bottle, cut at a height of 17 cm
- A bend made in the upper part is used as a fastening device.
- Up to a dozen holes are made in the bottom of the flask, cords are pulled through them - this will ensure the flow of moisture.
- Then water is poured into the lower part of the structure, the upper part is installed with a flower planted in the substrate.
- Periodically, as it is consumed, the water supply will need to be replenished.
To provide the root system with air to a greater extent, additional side holes are made.
With the help of such a simple design, it is quite possible to maintain sufficient sufficient moisture in the substrate.
Choosing a container for an orchid should be given its appearance; containers made of different materials can be used. But at the same time, it is imperative to know the features of caring for a plant planted in a separate container.
To simplify the irrigation process, you can use an automatic irrigation system, and it is not at all difficult to build it.
You will learn more about which pot to choose for planting a flower by watching the video: